Baby boy rips six holes in stomach after swallowing 14 magnetic ‘Buckyballs’

Doctors in China made the startling discovery that he had swallowed Buckyballs after the tot complained to his mum that he was having stomach pains and she sought medical help

    The baby boy tore six holes in his stomach and intestines (Image: AsiaWire)

    A baby boy tore six holes in his stomach and intestines after accidentally swallowing 14 magnetic bead toys known as Buckyballs.

    The startling discovery was made when 16-month-old tot from Zhejiang in China, had stomach pains so his mum took him to the doctor.

    The mum, named as Ms Dai, said doctors suspected her son's discomfort was caused by undigested food but after two days of ineffective treatment, he was referred to the larger Lishui Central Hospital where his stomach was scanned.

    Ms Dai said: "We only knew about the magnetic balls when we saw the CT scans."

    Zheng Rui, the out-patient clinic's paediatrician, said scans clearly showed a series of metallic objects inside the boy's digestive system.

    A scan showing the string of magnetic balls in the boy's intestines
    (Image: AsiaWire)

    • Multiple holes ripped in toddler's stomach after she swallows 37 magnetic balls

    • Boy, 12 , has surgery to remove 39 MAGNETIC BALLS from penis

    After he suspected they were Buckyball toys, Ms Chen said her son likely swallowed them while playing with the older children living next door.

    Zhang Heng, the hospital's head paediatric surgeon, scheduled an emergency surgery for the tot.

    The magnetic beads, which had torn holes in the boy's stomach and intestines while trying to stick together inside his body, were retrieved after two hours.

    Doctor Zhang said: "It was quite serious because he had swallowed 14 magnetic balls.

    Doctors removed 14 magnetic balls
    (Image: AsiaWire)

    • Buckyball 25th anniversary marked with Google doodle – 10 things you need to know about buckyballs

    "Two were in his stomach, two were in his large intestine, and the remaining 10 were in his small intestine.

    "Because it had been some time since he swallowed it, his stomach, small and large intestines were perforated in six places.

    "As a result, there was serious contamination and infection inside his abdominal cavity."

    The boy is in stable condition after his surgery but is continuing his recovery in paediatric intensive care.

    Last December a three-year-old girl was rushed to hospital after swallowing 37 magnetic sphere Buckyballs that ripped five holes in her stomach.

    Medics at Hunan Children's Hospital in Changsha, China, discovered the toys when the toddler's parents brought her complaining of severe stomach pain


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *