It is believed doctors at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest, Romania used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before accidentally igniting the fluid with an electric scalpel
Woman awarded £11million compensation after NHS operation left her brain damaged
Girl, 5, died in parents' arms days after coming home ill from Christmas party
The terrifying incident happened when the disinfectant caught fire (Image: PA)
A woman with cancer died during a routine operation after surgeons set her on fire, it is believed.
Doctors at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest, Romania, used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before accidentally igniting the fluid with an electric scalpel, according to reports.
She suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body and died a week later.
Police have now launched an investigation into her death, The Sun reports.
Her family said they hadn't been told of "the gravity of the situation" – and were only told that an "accident" had killed her.
Doctors at Floreasca Hospital (pictured) in Bucharest, Romania used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before accidentally igniting it (stock image)
(Image: Google Maps)
A relative said: "We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations.
"We aren't making accusations, we just want to understand what happened."
Romania's Ministry of Health are launching an investigation into the incident.
Romania's health minister Victor Costache promised to investigate the "traumatic" incident, adding: "We hope to learn from this troubling episode.
"Both myself and the Ministry of Health team that I coordinate will do everything possible to find out the truth."
Deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan added: "The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel."
Romania spends less on its healthcare system than any other country in the EU, per resident and as a percentage of its GDP