Bodies of two Israeli hostages removed from Gaza by troops as attacks escalate

This undated photo provided by the Hostage Families Forum headquarters on Friday, Aug. 29, 2025, shows Israeli hostage Ilan Weiss, whose body was found during an Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip. (Hostage Families Forum headquarters via AP)
The body of Ilan Weiss (left) and another unnamed hostage were found in the Gaza Strip by IDF forces (Photo: AP)

Israeli forces have found the bodies of two more hostages in the Gaza Strip.

The remains of Ilan Weiss and another unnamed captive were found just as Israel launched an offensive in the region.

Mr. Weiss, 33, was killed in the October 7, 2023 attack on Kibbutz Be'eri.

His body was seized by Hamas militants and held by the terrorist group for nearly two years.

His wife Shiri, 53, and daughter Noga, 18, were also taken hostage but were released during a week-long ceasefire in November 2023.

According to the Daily Mail, forensic experts are currently identifying the second body found.

According to official statistics, 48 Israeli hostages remain in the Gaza Strip, of which only 22 are considered alive.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country “will not rest” until the remaining hostages, both living and dead, are returned home.

FILE - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks at a news conference in Jerusalem on May 21, 2025. (Photo by Ronen Zvulun/Pool via AP, File)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country “will not rest” until all remaining hostages are returned (pictured: AP)
This photo taken from a position near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip shows plumes of smoke rising from an Israeli strike on the besieged Palestinian territory on August 29, 2025, amid the ongoing war between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas. The Israeli military declared Gaza City a
A photo taken near the Gaza border shows a huge cloud of smoke rising after the airstrike (Photo: AFP)
Mandatory attribution: Photo by APAImages/Shutterstock (15460712aj). Palestinians are forced to leave Gaza City and flee to the southern areas of the Gaza Strip, Gaza City, August 28, 2025, amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas militants. Israeli military operations continue around Gaza City as U.S. President Donald Trump holds a meeting to discuss post-war plans for the devastated Palestinian territory. Photo by Omar Ashtaviapaimages Palestinians are forced to leave Gaza City and flee to the southern areas of the Gaza Strip, Gaza City, Gaza Strip, Palestinian Territory - August 28, 2025.
Palestinians flee Gaza as Israel intensifies offensive in region (Photo: AP/Shutterstock)

The latest developments come after thousands of Palestinians were ordered to leave Gaza City ahead of a major Israeli military offensive.

The Israel Defense Forces said it would suspend humanitarian pauses to allow aid to reach Gaza while escalating its offensive.

Among the dead were Gazans looking for food.

Earlier this week, 20 people were killed in a double attack on a hospital.

The Israel Defense Forces said the strike targeted a Hamas surveillance camera.

TOPSHOT-PALESTINIAN-ISRAELI-CONFLICT
A young Palestinian stands in a street strewn with debris after the explosion (Photo: AFP)

The first strike hit the top floor of one of the hospital buildings.

The blast killed Reuters cameraman Hussam al-Masri, who was filming the scene, and another person, according to a fellow journalist and a hospital doctor.

Then medical workers in orange vests, journalists and relatives of patients hurried up an external staircase to the site of the first explosion.

The photos below show at least 16 people gathered on the stairs trying to help the victims. No one was seen holding a gun on the stairs.

Video footage taken by Al-Ghad TV shows the second strike, causing a loud roar and engulfing everyone on the stairs in smoke.

Hospital officials say the second strike killed 18 people.

The military did not specify why the bomb struck a second time or how it could have detected the militants among the crowd on the stairs.

The statement was released following a preliminary investigation into the attack, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a “tragic incident.”

He did not specify the nature of any error.

KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA - AUGUST 27: The camera, journalist's vest, helmet and mobile phone of Mariam Abu Dagga, one of the five journalists killed in the Israeli army's attack on the Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Younis on August 25, during an exclusive interview in Khan Younis, Gaza, August 27, 2025. Mariam Abu Dagga, who worked as a journalist for various media outlets including Independent Arabia and AP, was one of the journalists who stayed in Gaza to bring the truth to the world. The family of Mariam, a mother of one, said their daughter was badly injured and exhausted during the attacks on Gaza. (Photo: Doaa Albaz/Anadolu via Getty Images)
A press vest, helmet, camera and mobile phone belonging to Mariam Abu Dagga, one of the five journalists killed in the attack on Nasser Medical Complex in Khan Yunnis (Photo: Anadolu)

The war between Israel and Hamas has become one of the bloodiest conflicts for media workers.

More trends

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, some 189 Palestinian journalists have been killed by Israeli fire in the 22 months of fighting in the Gaza Strip.

An Israeli airstrike on Thursday killed the prime minister of Yemen's Houthi government and several other ministers.

Ahmad Ghaleb al-Rahwi, who became prime minister nearly a year ago, was largely seen as a figurehead rather than part of the Houthi top leadership.

Sourse: metro.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *